You should already be taking care of fall cleanup. If not, youd better hop to it. If you are, good for you! Now youre ready for the next step. After cleanup, cover your garden with finely mowed grass clippings and leaves, and overspray the debris with a mixture of:
- 1 can of regular cola (not diet),
- 1/2 cup of Plant Shampoo, and
- 1/2 cup of chewing tobacco tea*.
Apply this mixture with your 20 gallon hose-end sprayer, filling the balance of the jar with warm water. A week to ten days later, you should lightly spade this material, and then let it set for winter.
*Chewing tobacco tea: Place half a handful of chewing tobacco in a small piece of cheesecloth or pantyhose, and soak it in a gallon of hot water until the mixture is dark brown.
But, wait a minute!
There are a few other last minute things that may need to be taken care of:
- If any of your trees are in the way of heavy winter winds, brace them with nylon cord threaded through pieces of garden hose, then use wooden stakes to tie them down.
- Wrap the trunks of all young trees with tree wrap, burlap, or roofing paper panels taped with duct tape.
- Clean up your mowers, rakes, shovels, and other tools before you put them away for the season.